Monday, February 23, 2009

Junking in Germany

So junking is a fun thing here in Germany. You pick up a Kabel Magazine and flip to the back where it lists the dates and towns that will host junking. You go the night before and pick up your treasures!!! Sometimes you stike it big and other times are a flop-but it is the thrill of the hunt that keeps me going. So above is a head board that I found. The bottom was completely holzworm (wood worm) infested, so my husband cut off the bottom and WaaLaa! See photo below!

I painted the piece a creamy, ivory color and used a light pink to stencil an elegant design in the background. Then I picked my wording "A jamais das l'amour"-Which means "Forever in Love". Check back for more junking redos!!
FYI-Due to some people leaving piles of their junk in parking lots-the Kaiserslautern Community no longer does junking-however Kusel, Birkenfeld, and Pirmesans does, so no worries!

7 comments:

Allison said...

Fun :) I was wondering if they still did that...I knew they "outlawed" it in our area...

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

This pretty sign you have created make me wish I could speak French. I miss Germany terribly.

Anonymous said...

What a creative idea, I love it! Wish I could go junking in Germany!Madeline

__ said...

Awesome job! It looks great!

I just moved to Germany, too! {Spang} and randomly fell into a junking day - I found a vintage A-frame ladder and an antique sled!

Where do you find the Kabel mags? I'd love to find the junking schedules for the local area and find some more cool treasures! :o)

Kim said...

Hi I just moved to Landstuhl and have been asking around about the junking dates here. Nobody knew what I was talking about. I used to live in Vilseck years ago and remembered how fun it was. Do you know where I can locate the Kabel mags too? I would hate to miss it. Please email me at jnk0072003@yahoo.com

Ashley @ Design Eur Life said...

Sounds fun! I've lived in Germany for over a year now {Stuttgart area} and have never heard of junking... I am a flea market enthusiast like yourself and would love to check out this junking thing! Would you mind sending me more info about it or just posting it on your blog? My email in ashley@designeurlife.com
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

My parents were in Stuttgart with the military in the 70’s. We loved doing this!